Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Inexpensive dialup

J Where do yo get DSL for 15.00 a month? Our local phone company charges us 46.00 a month. Lenny

Wow. I can understand it being that along with landline ervice, but by itself ? Where are you Zimbabwe or something ? Just wow.

From what I understand for about $50 a month you can have true wireless. I mean that your modem will work almost anywhere and you need no cable or landline at all. They are gouging you if that's really the rate. (if you get that just get a Magicjack and you'll have phone with unlimited longdistance as well and can tell the ma bell to stick their service where it is sure not to get a sunburn)

Roadrunner comes to mind, I've heard of alot of people using it and I guess it works fine. I would shop around. But really, the true wireless for about fifty bucks, you can connect as many Magicjacks as your computer(s) can handle.

Just like the gas company bull****, a phone company must allow other providers to use their lines, although of course they charge for that. Somewhere on the web there is a site that lists what is available for your exchange and area code. Most likely Cnet would be a good place to start. IIRC their speedtest page had a link to it.