Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:53:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 19, 1:35*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:59:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 19, 9:18*am, "WW" wrote:
"Don Wiss" *wrote in message

. ..

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?
(2) Is this the same etiquette in the UK?

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-maillink at home page bottom).

To avoid any problems with code or neighbor, make both sides pretty. that is
what I would do. WW

That can be done with some style of fences, but certainly not all.

How do you make a stockade fence or a chain link fence or a board-on-
board fence pretty on both sides without doubling up the fence so that
the posts are sandwiched in between? That would basically double the
cost of the fencing - minus the posts.

Alternate pickets.- Hide quoted text -

Alternate pickets on a chain link or stockade fence?

Chain link has no good side. Stockade, why not?

As I said, pretty on both sides can be accomplished fairly easily with
some fence styles, but not with all.

You can come close. A close-picket fence can be mixed pretty transparently
with a alternating pickets. A neighbor on one side replaced the fence (it was
probably "mine" but did it before I moved in) with alternating pickets. It
doesn't look that bad.