Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fence facing etiquette

On Oct 19, 9:54*am, Don Wiss wrote:
On 19 Oct 2012, " wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:12:09 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

When I was young I learned that fence facing etiquette is to have the
pretty side of the fence facing outward towards your neighbors. My
questions:

(1) Is this a law in places?

Some places. Not all, obviously. *Check with your code enforcement agency, if
any.

This is more of curiosity. I live in rowhouse Brooklyn. No one on the
street can see what fence once puts up in their backyards. The prior owners
of my house put up a stockade fence on one side. They faced the good side
to the neighbor. The Brit now living behind me is now putting up a fence.
He is facing the back to me. He was planning to have the posts 2 3/4" onto
my property. As only the posts would be on my property, he thought it would
be okay. I told the contractor to move them. (Only the posts are now up.)

The reason he was trying to pull this off is he has a telephone pole at the
edge of his property and he wanted to get the fence behind it. To keep all
of the fence on his property he is now going to have to stop the fence at
the pole. And then resume it on the other side.

The prior chain link fence had bent around the pole putting the pole on my
side. My a/c condenser is close to the property line. If he has the posts
partially on my property the fence will be within a couple inches and the
condenser's efficiency will be decreased. I still may move it in a bit.

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Is there some particular reason you said "The Brit now living behind
me..."?

What does his nationality have to do with putting up a fence?