John Stumbles

Default Toilet FAQ?

"Abso" wrote in message
"John Flax" wrote in message

"Abso" wrote in message
Does anyone know the location of an online resource I can use to get

my
head
around how the internals of a toilet flush should work?

---8---
Try Google with: toilet cistern diaphragm
or look at:
http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.bailey2/toilet-t.html
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...nks%20etc..htm

---8---
That's really helpful, thanks. I'm now better able to describe the washer

was talking about above. It sits on the actuator linking the handle to

the
diaphragm carrier and seals the point at which the actuator penetrates the
flush chamber. As the handle is operated and the actuator rises, the

washer
(which is stuck on the actuator) rises with it, so that some of the
diaphragm's action is wasted by water leaking out of the top of the flush
chamber through the hole. Is this normal, or should the washer remain

seated
around the hole, ie. slide down over the actuator shaft? Could this be an
alternative reason for flushing problems?

I know what you mean but unless it's an enormously sloppy fit* then as long
as the diaphragm is OK the sheer volume of water being forced up the pipe
should be such that a little bit coming out of that coupling hole won't make
any significant difference.

hth

--
John Stumbles