Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Composite video out of a flat screen?

wrote:
Lenny I started recording HDTV in a PC 8 years ago. It was a very modest AMD Sempron on a cheap ECS mobo. Try it and you'll never go back to a VCR. Heck man, you repair that junk so you know just how crappy a VCR really is. The PC I'm on right now is recording as I type. It can also play out multiple HD streams while in record and never drops a frame. I have 2 more nearly identical machines that get used as plain jane PCs but are often in record. No heads to wear out, no dropouts no record time limits. It's way easier to implement than you think.

G?

there's still the PITA factor of using a computer as something else.

my VCR takes up 2U in a rack. I don't need a remote for it, or to even
have a TV connected to use it. You just hit some buttons and it does
stuff.

I just tried dragging an old computer to my front room to connect to the
projector. I'm still not done as I need to make some sort of PS/2
extension cable for the keyboard, I've not even thought about the mouse
yet, and I'll probably have to setup a monitor for the thing as well. I
got a DVI to HDMI converer cable, which possibly just blew up my HDMI
switcher box, but I won't know until that gets replaced. Where the hell
should I stash a keyboard and mouse connected to a computer across the
room anywas?

It's big hassle, even more obnoxious than having to flip over a laserdisc
in the middle of a movie in the dark.