Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] gerry.atrick74@home.com is offline

Default How far can you drive your car with all the lug nuts removed?

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 02:08:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

Not thinking it would work I jacked up the car and put the wheel on,
lowered the jack and made it less than an inch before it fell off. I
tried it again and made it 2 feet. I tried it a third time and I went
15 feet forward, turned left, went 100 feet north, turned left again
and went over the curb, across the side walk, right next to the
building on my left. Then I put the jack back in the trunk and took
the subway home to Brooklyn

Back around 1970 or 71, I had a similar thing happen to an old truck.
Several studs were broken and eventually the last ones broke and the
wheel fell off. It was a front tire. I was about 25 blocks from home,
and late in the evening. I walked home, and took two pieces of
hardwood. Drilled 2 holes in each piece. The plan was to clamp them
around the hub. However, I had no bolts long enough, and the hardware
stores were closed. That's when I noticed the old bicycle in our
basement. I removed the long bolts and nuts that hold the bike wheel to
the frame.

After getting a friend to drive me back to the truck, I rigged the wood
blocks and bike bolts over the hub, and tightened them as tight as I
could. The friend followed me in his car, and I got about halfway home
when I could feel the wheel was wobbling. I re-tightened the wood
blocks, and continued home. The wheel fell off right when I got into my
parking space behind our house. The next day I had the neighbor (a race
car builder and mechanic), fix it properly. That's when I learned it
was not a tough job and did not require a press.