Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Composite video out of a flat screen?

On Oct 16, 3:41*pm, chuck wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 09:13:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I'm not sure the 12AU7 was invented by the time of the ENIAC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

It probably used loktal tubes like 7V7s or something, untless it was even before that.

Tell you what, I wish I had maybe a 386 just for the hell of it. Even though almost all my old stuff still runs there is this one game called Johnny Vegas Poker that will not run on anything newer. It comes up with a divide by zero error. I'm not sure now but I think it would run on a 486SX but not a DX, something like that. I used it during my expensive gambling education. Yes I went out and played real poker (that's what was expensive of course) but this game had a help section that was pretty good. It would give you the odds and recommend bet or fold. It told you the odds versus the pot odds. If your odds of winning the hand are better than the bet/pot amount ratio, you bet. You can win poker fairly consistently if you play it right, until you run into others who can play it right, then your chances are equal. If you can't play it right then they will take your goodies and send you home.

Anyhoo, this $40 gizmo looks pretty good. In fact I plan on getting one. My main fetish when it comes to this was not to have DVDs, but to have PC files. The box itself does it, and if I want to put something up on youtube I just stick the stick in the PC apparently. Once I get one and get busy I will probably be THE preeminent star of youtube. The reason ? I GOT BETA ! LOL

I won't even play the beta tapes right now, they are kinda old and I might only get one chance. Plus I have a Sony SL-HFR60 and I don't trust the reel motor very much as it was a high failure rate part. Actually I wish I had a beta rewinder. I think eBay's search engine would return "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" if I looked for one there.

Us dinosaurs have to stick together.

My boss is from Austria and of course went to school there for electronics. He had to design a radio or something "showing all connections and component values" as an exam. He had forgotten to include the filament supply and the instructor drew a picture of a candle on it as a hint. When he told me this I responded "Hey, you were ready for sold state". Can't help it if the world can't catch up to us dinosaurs.

I hope you have better luck than I did when I tried digitising *my
Sony Beta tape library 5 years ago. *Everyone of them had lost
coercitivity and all that was left was snow. *They were kept in a cool
dark low humidity environment. *The one Memorex tape I bought (we were
told they were crap back in the day) played perfectly. *Unfortunately,
the 200 plus Sony tapes were full of irreplaceable videos. *Chuck

I really do appreciate all the different advice but as I've said
before I don't care about quality. I just want to watch my shows
without commercials using the equipment that I presently have. If all
my VCR's should one day just fail then I probably wouldn't replace
them. I might look into computer recording. Until then I don't want to
spend any additional money.

I do agree somewhat with Jurb about whats been taking place in this
country though. A prime example and one that really ****es me off is
this digital TV system we've had crammed down out throats. I happen to
be one of the millions of fringe area recipients of this bargain who
have to practically jump through their asses to squeeze even a channel
or two out of this. And there were millions more much worse off than
me who had to cave into cable or satellite just in order to get
anything. Someone got greased big time and the rest of us who who
don't give a crap about HD or can't afford to buy a new TV set got
****ed. Tell me how that was fair?

Well that's my rant for the evening. On another note I made a half
track audio tape of myself and some friends using a Wollensak tape
recorder and the ceramic mike that came with it 46 years ago. I
recently found the tape and played it on my Ampex 2 track stereo
machine and it sounded as crisp and clear as the day it was recorded.
Why does some tape whether audio or video seem to break down and is
crap while other still seems able to go the last mile? Lenny