Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default OT neighbor

Hello everyone. My husband used to post here, before he passed several
years ago. I used to enjoy reading this forum along side of him in the
evenings.

I have a "what would you do" question.

My neighbor has large trees, which overhang our property. During this
past
wind storm, several large limbs ended up on my property. I asked him if
he
could remove them, so I could cut the lawn. He called me every name in
the
book, and told me it's my problem.

I suppose I could hire someone to remove them, but only having a fixed
income, and Arty didn't have life insurance, sure puts a bind on things
around here. I'd move them myself, but at 73, I'm afraid I don't have
the
strength to, as it already takes me several days to cut the grass on a
city
lot.

What would you do?

Thank you.

Since that is like you asking me how the weather is going to be tomorrow,
I'd have to say, that depends on where you live.

I, me, personally, would call a zoning code enforcement officer, and have
them come out and look at the situation. They will then tell you the
choices you have so that when your neighbor is ranting and raving, you can
say, "Just check with zoning. I'm doing what they said to do."

All this advice is free on Internet, and worth thrice what you pay for it.
It's just that it may not apply to you in your locale, and actually get you
into trouble instead of solving your problem.

Start with your local officials, because, believe me, there is some little
official whose job it is to handle just such matters, and they like it when
people take care of their problems within the legal system, and they get to
justify their little cubicle for one more year.

Steve