Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Radial arm saw

On 10/16/2012 11:50 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I guess "Large" is open to some interpretation.

"dpb" wrote:

Indeed, but if were handling 12-, 16-quarter material of 8" and
wider and 10-plus feet long as a piece of work, the TS would find as
little application as the RAS does now.

Working with that size stock on a production basis would be done with
power feed equipment, not manual feed as provided with a RAS.

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen both and I have had power feeder on mine on
occasion ripping heavy stock...and can still move it form the shaper
over there if the need arose.

For the home hobbyist, there are other ways including but not limited
to a band saw.

Well, you weren't talking home hobbyist above, certainly...and how do
you propose moving the material through the bandsaw any better than
across a TS and what's the odds the home hobbyist has the BS that could
handle it, anyway?

C) You're entitled to your opinion of course and for your purposes
it may be right. I've an almost ancient 16" and I'll never part
with it. It again isn't the most used tool but it's invaluable when
needed and nothing else takes its place.
---------------------------------------
Sentimental value is tough to define.

Nonsense. It has a definite advantage and does things 10" TS simply
can't hack (the blade depth won't even do a standard 4x4, for heaven's
sake w/o flipping the stock) not to mention again trying to cross cut
long stock on a TS is far more dangerous and aggravating than a RAS ever
thought of being.

As an add on piece of equipment for the typical hobbyist or even
a small one man shop, a RAS just doesn't cut it IMHO.

Again, speak for yourself. IM(NS)HO if one deals w/ sizable stuff on
any frequency at all and has the room it's well worth having around. As
for the shop, it all depends on the type of work a shop does routinely.

And, for the individual, it's always the possibility as the one-piece
does it all tool for a constrained size/budget. As at least one other
noted here, that's the way I began lo! those many years ago and did
quite a lot of work (some even pretty respectable after a few years )
with it long before ever had a TS. The TS was the one that I could do
without.

It helps, of course, to have the room for the 16" behemoth but there's
still the old DeWalt 10" of Dad's around that could handle quite a lot
of the size of thing the normal wooddorker would expect to see very
nicely...I could part with it but I'll never part w/ the large one.