Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT neighbor

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 17:25:47 -0400, wrote:

I hate these neighbor dispute questions. It usually winds up with
getting revenge as the only solution.
Revenge - Everything that hangs over your property is yours, including
tree branches from other properties. The neighbor is usually not
required to remove his fallen branches from your property.
So, you get a tree person to cut up the fallen branches on your property
and then have them cut all the branches on your neighbor's trees that
hang over your property so they don't fall on your property any more.

Perhaps if you told him that beforehand, he'll remove the branches.

MOST places the tree is his, the damage is his - or his liability
insurance - and if you shave everything off your side of his tree, you
are liable for the damage to his tree.

I don't think so. Everything I've ever heard is that one may trim
overhanging branches to the property line. (make sure you know where
the property line really is,or at least don't go beyond where it might
be..) Mrs. Taylor might want to post to misc.legal.moderated
where they will answer the legal questions. This is common issue and
well known.

My condolences to you, Mrs. Taylor. It sounds so pleasant, you and
Art reading a newsgroup or anything togeher.

Be sure to tell them what state you live in, and as many details as
possible. If the limbs in question were not healthy, and the owner
knew or should have known, if the lack of health showed from the
outside, that would make a difference, but I forget the details. Tell
them your details and they will you.

Trimming to the property line may make the tree ugly for your eyes and
his, but I agree, the threat might be enough to get him to remove
what's fallen rather than have you call someone to do that and the
trimmming too.