Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Composite video out of a flat screen?

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 06:57:51 -0700 (PDT), put
finger to keyboard and composed:

" I use a cheap STB (AU$40) with a USB socket and HDMI output. I can
record any program in HD to a USB flash drive. The file format is
playable on a PC using VLC video player. No need for VCRs anymore. In
fact I'm told that you can even burn the recordings in DVD format so
that they can be played on a regular DVD player. "

STB = Set Top Box ? (just making sure)

Yes.

If you're talking one of those USB video convertor ..

No.

Here is what I'm talking about:
http://www.soniq.com.au/index.php/Se...ypage.tpl.html

It's virtually a drop-in replacement for your VCR except that, instead
of a VHS cassette, it records to a USB stick. You can then play it
back through the TV, or you can take the flash drive to a PC and
transfer the file(s) to your HDD.

In fact I've just played back a recording of a recent EUFA cup soccer
match on an 800MHz AMD Duron running Win98SE using VLC video player.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You'll need a USB 2.0 port, though, as USB 1.1 is quite slow. At least
I think it's the port that is the bottleneck (I don't have room on my
HDD to download the file).

AISI, why would you bother with an analogue recording if you can do it
digitally for $40, and then make perfect copies every time, as well as
transferring them to a playable optical disc?

BTW, my Internet machine is an old AMD 450MHz socket 7 box running
Win98SE. My brother reckons it's made of wood. :-)

- Franc Zabkar