Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Composite video out of a flat screen?

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:37:11 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Oct 12, 4:48*pm, Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:21:25 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The problem is that we tape all our shows on VCR's to watch later when
both my wife and I have time. Most sets, and this one is no exception
have no provision for a composite, S, or any other type of "video
out".

It doesn't answer your question but ...

I use a cheap STB (AU$40) with a USB socket and HDMI output. I can
record any program in HD to a USB flash drive. The file format is
playable on a PC using VLC video player. No need for VCRs anymore. In
fact I'm told that you can even burn the recordings in DVD format so
that they can be played on a regular DVD player.

- Franc Zabkar

I realize that I can do things like the ones mentioned with convertor
boxes. I was just hoping that there was a way to do it without the use
of an additional box. but now that doesn't seem like a possibility,
and in fact as someone else previously mentioned even if I could
accomplish this it would require having the TV on while making the
recording. This is not practical at all, especially considering the
clock ticking on these flat panels all the while they're on. Lenny

The STB can record in standalone mode. It has its own tuner. You would
just need the TV to set it up.

- Franc Zabkar