Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Composite video out of a flat screen?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:21:25 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
(...)
is it possible to get it "out of the set? I realize that I'd have
to employ some type of isolation between the TV and the outside world,
and I'm sure that I could come up with a way to do that, but I'm just
asking if this could be possible. Thanks, Lenny

Why bother? Just find one of the cheap (junk) ATSC to NTSC converter
boxes that the government was subsidizing. They all have composite
video outputs. Put an RF splitter on the antenna connector. One port
goes to this box, the other to your TV. Plug the VCR into converter
box composite output. Now, you have an instant dual front end, single
channel DVR, errr... VCR. If the splitter drops the signal
excessively, add an RF broadband TV amplifier.

The only problem is that many of the used converter boxes I'm finding
at garage sales and thrift shops, seem to have been rather hastily
designed and sloppily built. I really don't know if any manufacturer
or brand name ever made a quality product. If you find something, it
might help to check the reviews before spending any money. Plenty to
choose from on eBay under "digital TV converter box".

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D