View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Composite video out of a flat screen?

Actually you might be able to get a DVI or VGA ouput somewhere and use a little convertor box. I have a couple so I can send the PC's output to an NTSC television. They were about fifty bucks apiece but I'd bet they're cheaper now.

I'm pretty sure it is cheap to convert from DVI to VGA, but I don't know about the other way around, which I might (happen to) need.

In any event, a TV is not going to downconvert for you, that what my little boxes are for.

Actually I remember installing an ATI AIW 7500 years ago for a buddy and I found that for some reason the COMB filter wouldn't work right using the composite output, we had to turn the notch filter on. Should have used Svid but it was a fairly long run.

Later with the EZTV box going into my XBR, the COMB filter worked and the interlace was perfect, but what was strange is with the analog COMB filter you know how you see the crawling dots on the first line of a large color block ? They didn't crawl.

I am still at a loss as to how the hell they got the timing right enough but made it so the dots were stationary. Eother way the quality was as expected, 480i.

I have the opposite problem myself, I got a ****load of old beta tapes I want to turn into MPEGs and DVDs. I don't know if my system is good enough to use one of those USB convertors, well at least this one. I have a never syatem in the basement feeding the BIG stereo and a projo, but that can't take as many harddrives as this one. Not sure what to do. I want it ALL on harddrives, and more than one of them. I might only get one chance to rip them..

From what I gather for your problem though is that HDMI can be converted to DVI, and DVI can be converted to VGA. One of those little boxes will do it from there. The only problem is that you are going to need an analog audio connection because normally HDMI includes it and doesn't require separate cables.

I've heard of cases though, where if the PC was booted with the TV off or something it would not have audio, probably something to do with a handshake.. The solution in that case because the guy didn't want to be forced into using the TV all the time was to just use analog audio. I really don't know what happens with the audio if you use a convertor from HDMI to DVI, maybe the convertor has audio jacks.

Google should find you something on that right quick.

J