Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default High Gas Prices

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 01:18:41 -0700, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 07:49:46 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:47:20 -0700, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 11:36:55 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 10/9/2012 2:45 AM, Gunner wrote:

Because this is a California problem. Our "special gasoline" is
blended differently during the summer months to "prevent pollution"
and is only changed to a more normal blend in late fall.

Gunner

Could it be the "Special Formulation" emits fumes that causes some
people to become radical leftists?

Shhh! They might make us use it year-round.

It's already the Liberal Literati's goal to drive fuel prices so high
we give up cars and take the bus everywhere - conveniently ignoring us
poor schlubs who have to drive a big heavy truck full of tools and
parts around to make a living.

I was thrilled to hear about more CNG/Gasoline Dual-Fuel trucks for
sale next year - then I heard it's going to be a $7,500 premium,
Diesel is only $4,000. And only 1/2 and 3/4 Ton sizes.

And then some Bright Boy will restrict the owners from using the Home
Refueling compressors ("PHILL") by saying "we can't control the
quality of the gas, so it will void your warranty..." which will
totally destroy the utility of the CNG - making you go to an
out-of-the-way refueling site and pay more for someone else to
compress it for you.

Doubles the price - it's like $1.50 a GGE if you do it yourself, $2.50
to $3 at the fill stations. And you have to go there to fill up - you
don't just disconnect the hose, hop in the truck and go to work.

Oh, and I didn't see anything about Cab-Chassis conversions, they want
to put the gas tanks in the bed.

-- Bruce --

Why not a gas/LPG setup? Gets you away from the high pressure CNG
tanks and associated apparatus. Conversion kits readily available,
quick change over from LPG to gasoline, or back. Been in use for years
and years.

Propane prices are tied to gasoline and diesel prices to a point - If
they can't refine gasoline they can't separate out the Propane and
Butane fractions either.

That isn't wholly correct. Certainly there is a certain amount of
propane and butane that boil out of crude when it is processed but to
a large extent both propane and butane is a byproduct of treating gas
streams. If you are selling "lean gas", i.e., ethane and methane you
need to strip everything heavier out or you will raise havoc with your
customer's operations.

I don't know about the U.S. market but the E. Asian market is largely
driven by supply and demand for LPG.

And it's a much larger problem to fuel at home with Propane, and no
economic advantage - Natural Gas I get via a convenient pipeline going
right to the house, and as much as I need.

I suppose that you will need to compress it as I believe that vehicle
mounted CNG tanks are in the 3,000 psi range and I believe that
residential distribution systems are working in the inches of water
ranges, although I've never been in that side of the business.

I suppose it would be better if I lived outside a large city and had
the Propane on site anyway, and used enough to make the delivery fees
worth it - but if I try it here, I have to apply for special permits
and approvals, and grease a lot of palms with inspection fees and
annual licenses...

-- Bruce --

Here we have LPG filling stations pretty well all over the country and
a large number of LPG burning automobiles. For all practical purposes
you can say that all taxi's are now running LPG . In fact I'm not sure
that CNG systems for gasoline engines are even sold here as the LPG
systems are so popular.

As an aside, the first LPG burning automobiles I saw belonged to a
taxi company in Tachakawa, Japan in about 1955 :-)
--
Cheers,
John B.