Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default So where do you dispose of the hazardous waste?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:27:41 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Transition metals don't go anywhere much in ground water, due to the
very strong ion exchange with clay minerals. Putting batteries in
landfills is pretty well entirely benign, especially since in the next
100 years all the landfills will probably be mined--they're high-grade
deposits of a whole lot of things you need for a technological civilization.

Yep. In a past rant, I documented the methods the EPA[1] used to
prove that lead "dissolves" in acidic ground water. (I'm in a rush
and can't find the specific article or EPA doc right now).

http://www.ees.ufl.edu/homepp/townsend/Research/CRT/CRTDec99.pdf
The proceedure is to test for leaching using moderately acidic water
(Ph = 5.0) and to literally pulverize the glass to accellerate the
leaching (See Method Phase I). As expected this yielded the worst
case results at about 3 times the US limits.

Basically, they took a TV CRT, ground the glass into a powder, poured
a mild acid into the ground glass, and found traces of lead in the
solution. Amazing. Meanwhile, the recommended method of permanently
storing radioactive sold waste is to encapsulate it in glass. More
specifically, passivated glass with lead particles. Glass is good
enough for radioactivity, but not good enough for sequestering lead?

Google "oklo natural reactor" for a billion-year experimental
demonstration of the slowness of transition metal transport in groundwater.

Ummm... don't tell the nuclear protestors. Everything nuclear is
dangerous.

Phil Hobbs

[1] EPA SW846 method 1311 Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D