Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default So where do you dispose of the hazardous waste?

Sealed lead acid batteries.
Use up alkaline batteries.
Dead LI batteries.
NiCd batteries.
etc.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.

Any stores take them?

The only spot I know about around my area is 1/2 hour drive in nasty
traffic ... and they want us to dispose this stuff of properly. I'll
bet that most people put them in the trash but I am not willing to go
there (either place).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/9/2012 1:15 PM, BeeJ wrote:
Sealed lead acid batteries.
Use up alkaline batteries.
Dead LI batteries.
NiCd batteries.
etc.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.

Any stores take them?

The only spot I know about around my area is 1/2 hour drive in nasty
traffic ... and they want us to dispose this stuff of properly. I'll
bet that most people put them in the trash but I am not willing to go
there (either place).

Radio Shack, I think Best Buy also.
JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"BeeJ" wrote in message
Sealed lead acid batteries.
Use up alkaline batteries.
Dead LI batteries.
NiCd batteries.
etc.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.

Any stores take them?

The only spot I know about around my area is 1/2 hour drive in nasty
traffic ... and they want us to dispose this stuff of properly. I'll bet
that most people put them in the trash but I am not willing to go there
(either place).

My local Tesco takes them.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"BeeJ" wrote in message
Sealed lead acid batteries.
Use up alkaline batteries.
Dead LI batteries.
NiCd batteries.
etc.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.

Any stores take them?

The only spot I know about around my area is 1/2 hour drive in nasty
traffic ... and they want us to dispose this stuff of properly. I'll bet
that most people put them in the trash but I am not willing to go there
(either place).

My local Tesco takes them.

Gareth.

Round here gas stations take lead-acid cells. They get paid a few bucks
for them by the recycler.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 10:15:26 -0700, BeeJ wrote:

Sealed lead acid batteries.

Batteries Plus
Gray Bears
Valley Womens Club recycling centers
The local hardware stores have plastic bags and collections boxes.

Use up alkaline batteries.

Mixed in with the trash. They're not considered hazardous.

Dead LI batteries.

Batteries Plus
Several recycling centers.
The local hardware stores have plastic bags and collections boxes.

NiCd batteries.

Hazardous waste.
Batteries Plus
Municipal dumps have collection bins for these.
The local hardware stores have plastic bags and collections boxes.
Possibly Radio Shack, but I haven't asked.

etc.

Etc is not recyclable.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.
Any stores take them?

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/recycling_batteries
Since you didn't bother to disclose where you live, I guess you'll
just have to use Google to find a local recycler. It's not difficult.

The only spot I know about around my area is 1/2 hour drive in nasty
traffic ... and they want us to dispose this stuff of properly.

Then continue to collect them until you can justify the drive. The
ecology will thank you.

I'll
bet that most people put them in the trash but I am not willing to go
there (either place).

You might ask your local garbage service if they offer curbside
recycling. Our local garbage can pickup service will also deal with
used oil, oil filters, batteries, and the usual household metal and
plastic containers. Also ask the recyclers:
http://www.batteryrecycling.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2012-10-09, BeeJ wrote:
Sealed lead acid batteries.
Use up alkaline batteries.
Dead LI batteries.
NiCd batteries.
etc.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.

I just put 'em in the trash. My philosophy is that anything that fits
into an opaque garbage bag can be put out with the regular household
garbage.

"Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental
protection... the next world climate summit in Cancun is actually
an economy summit during which the distribution of the world's
resources will be negotiated." -- Ottmar Edenhofer, IPCC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2012-10-09, BeeJ wrote:
Sealed lead acid batteries.
Use up alkaline batteries.
Dead LI batteries.
NiCd batteries.
etc.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.

I just put 'em in the trash. My philosophy is that anything that fits
into an opaque garbage bag can be put out with the regular household
garbage.

I got some hazardous insect killer I wanted to dispose of. There is one
place I can take it, across town, once a year. Like hell I will.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 23:46:39 +0000, Roger Blake wrote:

I just put 'em in the trash. My philosophy is that anything that fits
into an opaque garbage bag can be put out with the regular household
garbage.

That's not a philosophy, it's merely an irresponsible attitude.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sales-At-Radio-Wymsey/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2012-10-09, wrote:
Sealed lead acid batteries.
Use up alkaline batteries.
Dead LI batteries.
NiCd batteries.
etc.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.

I just put 'em in the trash. My philosophy is that anything that fits
into an opaque garbage bag can be put out with the regular household
garbage.

I got some hazardous insect killer I wanted to dispose of. There is one
place I can take it, across town, once a year. Like hell I will.

Greg

One time long ago when I was living in a converted garage, I had an ant
invasion--there were tens of thousands of red ants all over the floor.
I got a can of Raid, put a needle in the nozzle, taped the button down,
pulled the needle, tossed it through the window, and shut the window.
Then I waited a day, aired the place out, and vacuumed up the carcasses.

(ISTR that I also taped it to a board, so that it would fall with the
nozzle pointing up.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2012-10-09, BeeJ wrote:
Sealed lead acid batteries.
Use up alkaline batteries.
Dead LI batteries.
NiCd batteries.
etc.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.

I just put 'em in the trash. My philosophy is that anything that fits
into an opaque garbage bag can be put out with the regular household
garbage.

I got some hazardous insect killer I wanted to dispose of. There is one
place I can take it, across town, once a year. Like hell I will.

I ran into the same issue with old gasoline.

miss a day of work and carry it by hand to the city dump which is only
open like 3 hours one every two weeks?

**** that.

I poured it out in the alley and on the patio.

my last jug of vacuum pump oil went into the trash. It's just mineral oil,
no big deal unless you call it used vacuum pump oil and people assume it
was used in to manufacture semiconductors or something else with exotic
toxic nasty stuff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Roger wrote:
On 2012-10-09, wrote:
Sealed lead acid batteries.
[...]

Pump oil is usually dioctyl pthalate, AFAIK, which is a popular
plasticizer due to its lowish toxicity and very low vapour pressure
(which is also what makes it good pump oil).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Roger wrote:
On 2012-10-09, wrote:
Sealed lead acid batteries.
[...]

there's many types. I use the cheap stuff, which is just mineral oil,
under more exciting names like "paraffinic petroleum distillates".

the MSDS sheet for the stuff are clearly some sort of wikipedia copy
and paste from somewhere else type deal, with a logo and phone number at
the top.

The part I've not figured out is why or how does silicone diffusion pump
oil go bad, and why does it have an expiration date on the bottle.

I even asked people at a national lab with diffusion pumps all over the
place and nobody really seemed to know.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I didn't bother on purpose. Get it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:51:16 PM UTC-7, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:

The part I've not figured out is why or how does silicone diffusion pump
oil go bad, and why does it have an expiration date on the bottle.

Probably because some silicones are used in medical devices, and
the FDA gets very crazy when they cannot determine expiration
dates. Or calibration dates.

It also means some customers will reorder more often. I recall,
however, we loaded our diffusion pump and NEVER thought
of replacement of the silicone oil unless it got too dirty to pump.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:10:42 -0700, BeeJ wrote:

I didn't bother on purpose. Get it?

What were you expecting? Have the recyler send a pickup vehicle to
your unspecified location? You may live in a rural area, but even
those have recycling centers and municipal dumps. When you're done
being so proud of trashing the environment because of your laziness,
you might inquire at to their locations and services offered.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Hobbs wrote:

The part I've not figured out is why or how does silicone diffusion pump
oil go bad, and why does it have an expiration date on the bottle.

Probably because some silicones are used in medical devices, and
the FDA gets very crazy when they cannot determine expiration
dates. Or calibration dates.

The Dow 704 I have actually says on the bottle "NOT FOR HUMAN INJECTION!".
I even wrote to Dow asking if people shoot up vacuum pump oil, and if so,
why. I never heard back, but was apparently enough of a problem to put
this on the labels in 2003.

It also means some customers will reorder more often. I recall,
however, we loaded our diffusion pump and NEVER thought
of replacement of the silicone oil unless it got too dirty to pump.

How did you determine the diffusion pump was dirty? I'm still not clear on
how you even drain the oil out of the one I have, other than the turn the
entire thing upside down, and hope everything drips out. Do you then wash
it out? Silicone oils are pretty disgusting, and I'm happy the stuff
hasn't crawled out of the pump and all over the place.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

on 10/10/2012, BeeJ supposed :
I didn't bother on purpose. Get it?

You seem to have some disability so I will not go into that.

The point was to get global input from the people reading this post
where they were located so ALL others who might read this post will get
ideas about how to do recycling in their area. Now do you get it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/10/2012 11:42 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:10:42 -0700, wrote:

I didn't bother on purpose. Get it?

What were you expecting? Have the recyler send a pickup vehicle to
your unspecified location? You may live in a rural area, but even
those have recycling centers and municipal dumps. When you're done
being so proud of trashing the environment because of your laziness,
you might inquire at to their locations and services offered.

Transition metals don't go anywhere much in ground water, due to the
very strong ion exchange with clay minerals. Putting batteries in
landfills is pretty well entirely benign, especially since in the next
100 years all the landfills will probably be mined--they're high-grade
deposits of a whole lot of things you need for a technological civilization.

Google "oklo natural reactor" for a billion-year experimental
demonstration of the slowness of transition metal transport in groundwater.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:24:29 -0700, BeeJ wrote:

on 10/10/2012, BeeJ supposed :
I didn't bother on purpose. Get it?

The point was to get global input from the people reading this post
where they were located so ALL others who might read this post will get
ideas about how to do recycling in their area. Now do you get it?

No. I re-read your original posting and find none of that included.
The only question you asked was in the Subject line as:
So where do you dispose of the hazardous waste?
which I answered in detail in my initial reply. I didn't supply my
location because you can easily find it in the signature.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:27:41 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Transition metals don't go anywhere much in ground water, due to the
very strong ion exchange with clay minerals. Putting batteries in
landfills is pretty well entirely benign, especially since in the next
100 years all the landfills will probably be mined--they're high-grade
deposits of a whole lot of things you need for a technological civilization.

Yep. In a past rant, I documented the methods the EPA[1] used to
prove that lead "dissolves" in acidic ground water. (I'm in a rush
and can't find the specific article or EPA doc right now).

http://www.ees.ufl.edu/homepp/townsend/Research/CRT/CRTDec99.pdf
The proceedure is to test for leaching using moderately acidic water
(Ph = 5.0) and to literally pulverize the glass to accellerate the
leaching (See Method Phase I). As expected this yielded the worst
case results at about 3 times the US limits.

Basically, they took a TV CRT, ground the glass into a powder, poured
a mild acid into the ground glass, and found traces of lead in the
solution. Amazing. Meanwhile, the recommended method of permanently
storing radioactive sold waste is to encapsulate it in glass. More
specifically, passivated glass with lead particles. Glass is good
enough for radioactivity, but not good enough for sequestering lead?

Google "oklo natural reactor" for a billion-year experimental
demonstration of the slowness of transition metal transport in groundwater.

Ummm... don't tell the nuclear protestors. Everything nuclear is
dangerous.

Phil Hobbs

[1] EPA SW846 method 1311 Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure