Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Composite video out of a flat screen?

I think that I know the answer to this one but at the risk of looking
like a dummy I'll ask anyway. Some time ago a customer left a flat
screen with me for repair. The short end of it is that I fixed it,
they never picked it up, so now it's in our bedroom. I can receive the
three major networks off my antenna and a few other things I can take
or leave and we're satisfied with that. Naturally they appear in HD,
(which I can also do without).

The problem is that we tape all our shows on VCR's to watch later when
both my wife and I have time. Most sets, and this one is no exception
have no provision for a composite, S, or any other type of "video
out".

Now I reaIize that I can place a converter ahead of the TV, down
convert to NTSC, Use either channel three RF or AV out, lose my HD and
accomplish what I'm trying to do, but this is not only an extra added
expense but a pain in the ass as well.

Does anyone know if first of all composite video as we've known it for
the past 75 or so years even exists in a modern flat screen TV, and if
so is it possible to get it "out of the set? I realize that I'd have
to employ some type of isolation between the TV and the outside world,
and I'm sure that I could come up with a way to do that, but I'm just
asking if this could be possible. Thanks, Lenny