Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Home-made air cleaner remake

"Morgans" wrote in
:

Fasten a lever on the switch with small sheet metal screws then use a
rod that sticks out the side of the unit. You could get fancy so the
rod moves another rotary switch on the outside, too.

There are 2 competing things - access to the switch (and perhaps the
outlets next to it), and a more or less airtight hold on the filters
covering that area. If I were an electrician I could figure out how to
wire the variable speed switch I have from before to feed power to the fan.
But then, perhaps that was what eventually killed the electric motor in the
old setup. I had the fan go at the lowest speed most of the time, for long
periods.

--
Best regards
Han