Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default So where do you dispose of the hazardous waste?

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 10:15:26 -0700, BeeJ wrote:

Sealed lead acid batteries.

Batteries Plus
Gray Bears
Valley Womens Club recycling centers
The local hardware stores have plastic bags and collections boxes.

Use up alkaline batteries.

Mixed in with the trash. They're not considered hazardous.

Dead LI batteries.

Batteries Plus
Several recycling centers.
The local hardware stores have plastic bags and collections boxes.

NiCd batteries.

Hazardous waste.
Batteries Plus
Municipal dumps have collection bins for these.
The local hardware stores have plastic bags and collections boxes.
Possibly Radio Shack, but I haven't asked.

etc.

Etc is not recyclable.

They don't go in the trash but they are piling up in the corner.
Any stores take them?

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/recycling_batteries
Since you didn't bother to disclose where you live, I guess you'll
just have to use Google to find a local recycler. It's not difficult.

The only spot I know about around my area is 1/2 hour drive in nasty
traffic ... and they want us to dispose this stuff of properly.

Then continue to collect them until you can justify the drive. The
ecology will thank you.

I'll
bet that most people put them in the trash but I am not willing to go
there (either place).

You might ask your local garbage service if they offer curbside
recycling. Our local garbage can pickup service will also deal with
used oil, oil filters, batteries, and the usual household metal and
plastic containers. Also ask the recyclers:
http://www.batteryrecycling.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D