Andy Hall

Default Replacing a boiler

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:55:24 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Not really. My point was that from
my experience, Glow Worm had or
has been producing junk products,

One or two junk products you mean. Those you have had experience off.

Products with poor manufacturing, thin metal for casing, internal
components and sharp edges and poor internal fixings are poor and
cheap engineering down to a price. Since they will have made
probably tens of thousands or more of some of these conventional
wall-mount boilers then they will all be the same. I am sure that
they didn't single me out for special attention.

but somehow has established a brand
name.

It is quite common for a manufacturer from
another geography who does
not have much of a recognised name in a
territory in which they would
like to establish one, to buy up a company
with a name and little else, and to inject it
with decent technology and manufacturing and of
course, money.

In a market where there is much conservatism
such as the UK plumbing
and heating industry, this is a smart move.

My point was simply that in my view,

Ah, in "your" view.

That's what I said, and from the outset.

and from my personal experience,
Glow Worm does not give me a positive brand
message.

To milions of others it does.

Undoubtedly and that is why the brand was saleable, just like
Potterton.

They may now
have Vaillant technology etc. but who knows
how that is implemented?

To Vaillant quality stadards?

Who knows?

Did they fire the management and entire
workforce and start again?
doubtful?

Doesn't matter. They have to tow the Vaillant line.

Are you sure about that?

So why would I want to risk that when I can buy known
good products with a consistent track record?

Glow Worm made excellent quality products that were value for money at the
time. E.g., the first wall mounted UK made boiler. They did make the odd
lemon, as do them all.

I had two different products of their manufacture installed in new
houses by a subcontractor of the builder.. Both were unreliable
junk and had a lifetime cost far in excess of what I would consider
reasonable.

The current crop of Glow Worm condensing boilers are top rate. With most,
if not all, made in Holland. The heat exchangers are all made in Holland
anyhow, and the other components are mainly bought in, like gas valve, PCB
board, sensors etc. The low level stuff is rebadged Saunier Duval; best buy
the equiv Saunier as it is cheaper. So they have a large leap in quality
from bottom to top. You never looked did you. You never did your research.

I always do my research and as you well know, I don't buy on price.

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl