Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Ta-da!

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 07:42:02 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 21:01:44 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 20:45:01 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 19:26:05 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 18:21:58 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On 08 Oct 2012 01:09:30 GMT, Jim Mueller wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 15:59:17 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

Critiques, suggestions welcome...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SE...ype_Supply.pdf

Sand in air ignored.

...Jim Thompson

Your simulation doesn't include your power input source, presumably a
rectifier, based on your label.

Full-wave rectified, straight off AC line. +VRECT to -VDC

You didn't show the Vrect waveform. What pulls it down? A bridge
rectifier without some pulldown can't keep sloshing charge into/out of
the current limiting capacitor.

Replace Vrect with a floating AC supply and a bridge rectifier, and it
won't work.

Says the fraud. There's lots of pulldown... it's a PFC supply.

...Jim Thompson

Is the PFC supply on all the time? If so, what is this circuit needed
for? It certainly can't be used to start up the PFC, if it needs the
PFC for pulldown.

Yep. I think the Chinese are fudging on me. They show me waveforms
with a worst case trough no higher than about 10V off of -VDC. I've
asked a New Zealander (in HK, they sort of speak English :-) to run a
storage scope view from t=0. I will likely just halve the cap and
pick off from a phase... I'm already on the "hot side" any way.

...Jim Thompson

You call me a fraud! Clearly you didn't think this through. Looks like
I saved your cookies again. I really should stop doing that.

What's weird is that I pointed out this problem last week, and you're
just now catching on to it.

It's rare for the unloaded output of a bridge rectifier to look
anything like abs(sin(w*t)).

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer