Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring conventions

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Tim Watts
escribió:

But common sense wise - what if someone cuts the cable later, determines
an apparant CPC and bonds it to something exposed?

The same argument applies - what if it's a switch wire and the blue wire
is sheathed brown at both ends, but not where it is cut?

It's an interesting question.

Not really - at least not these days. 17th basically states that "neutral"
is to be considered a live conductor, as opposed to what we all call live
which is now called "line" (rather than "phase" like it used to be).

In other words, neutral is regarded as dangerous and not to be left
uninsulated, exposed, connected to random metalwork etc.

In this repsect the CPC has a very special status which is why it's
important to avoid mistakes of this nature.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."