Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] cedarsonny@aol.com is offline

Default Painting pressure treated lumber - Siding & High Tech

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:43:15 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 10/1/2012 5:57 PM, Swingman wrote: Personally, I don't like caulking cement siding. If you paint/prime cut ends, and flash the butt joint properly, caulking should not be necessary.

On a more utilitarian note, the same applies. Some time ago, someone had asked about siding for a storage shed, they were building, and asked specifically about using T1-11 siding. I had used T1-11 for my shop and stressed priming and painting all edges and, in particular, the lower beveled edge, including 10" up the backside lower edge (in case of rain trying to wick up on that beveled under-back side.

My garage has T1-11, also, and it has held up well (almost 20 yrs, with periodic normal preventive maintenance). I attribute this, at least partially, to the extra time and care in priming and painting all edges.

Properly taking care of ends and edges should be common sense.

I do like the tips for preventing scuffing and the like, too, for some specific products. I've never worked with the specific Hardie board you're speaking of, but I've taken note.

Sonny