Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring conventions

Interloper wrote:

Adam wrote:

Reg 514.4.2

The bi-colour combination green-and-yellow shall be used exclusively for
the identification of a protective conductor and this combination shall
not be used for any other purpose"

I would suggest that this regulation specifically refers to the visible
green/yellow colour combination of the conductor. If the visible colours
of a conductor are green/yellow, then that 'exclusively identifies that
conductor as a protective conductor'.

However, if the exposed green/yellow conductor of a multicore cable is
fully oversheathed or sleeved in another colour (e.g. brown) at the
terminations, then IMO, the new designation for that conductor would not
contravene the regulations.

It's not that different from oversheathing the blue neutral in a switch
drop with brown sleeving to redesignate it as a live conductor.

Hang about - whilst I cannot put my finger on the reg this second, I believe
that using a green/yellow conductor for any other purpose is absolutely
verboten.

Give me a few hours - I think I can back that up...

But common sense wise - what if someone cuts the cable later, determines
an apparant CPC and bonds it to something exposed?

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."