Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gotta hand it to the tories.

In article om,
"brass monkey" writes:
I fancied a hot pork sandwich today, ok they're £2 but what the hell, lets
live a little. Hmmm, they're now £2.40 thanks to the guvmint. That's 8 old
shilling, nearly half a quid extra. I'll be damned if I buy another one. In
their wisdom, the guvmint has added vat to things which are kept warm and
sold at a temperature higher than ambient. If they're not kept warm and are
cooling down, no vat (so Greggs are ok with the pasties). Brilliant. Might
be interesting to see what happens with fish'n'chip shops. Presumably
chinese takeaways are ok since its cooked to order and isn't kept warm.
Shirley frozen stuff should have vat also? The shops are keeping it frozen
for us, it isn't warming up.
Pity the govmint have no idea of the real world. Bring on the election,
can't wait to vote for my mate David.

Trouble is that VAT rules for food, whilst they started with some
reasonable intentions but mediocre implementation, have just got
more and more illogical over time, both due to incompetent fiddling
with what's zero rated and what isn't, and failing to take into
account significant changes in food product available since VAT
was introduced.

--
Andrew Gabriel