Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT This is the reason I hate the public enforcing the law

"ARW" wrote in message
Phil Addison wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 18:42:13 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 20:02:23 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

I saw the whites of his eyes.

I don't care what you believe you can see with your main beams.
I loved the adrenaline rush and the chance to make a ******
think again about their actions against me.

See The Highway Code
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/index.htm
section 147

I won my battle against that bearded ******.

No. Your demons won the battle. You lost.

I can assure you that if I had stopped the van and words were
exchanged I would have kicked his head in if he had threatened
me.

You really should take an anger management course. That adrenaline
rush is comonly known as 'losing it'. One day that part of your
brain could make you could kill someone without the real you
knowing what you are doing. You might regret that.

Are you sure the adrenaline rush is only from losing it? I'll often
take risks and enjoy it where no-one is threatened or in danger
other than me.

Nope, never said that was the only way, obviously extreme sports and
the like also cause it as well as any of the original natural threats
it evolved to help us survive. Its the body's animal reaction to
suddenly being in a dangerous situation, and primes your body and
mind for 'flight or fight'. It over-rides our normal behaviour. When
in charge of a lethal weapon one should take care of actions that
invoke adrenaline rush because you are effectively deiberately
letting go of control, and may then do things you regret.

Such a shame, I had great respect for you from reading your
electrical threads, until you started ranting about the way you
treat your team.

They are only apprentices. The good apprentices are looked after
very well. It's my job to get rid of the crap ones - they can go
and work for lesser firms or **** of to McDonalds for all I care.
If I spot a glint of hope in one then I do try to help them.

Glad to hear it, but its a strange recruiting policy that employs so
many crap ones in the first place. Where I worked apprentice were
highly valued and rarely had to be got rid of. I don't know how it
works these days, but when I was an apprentice we were paid a wage,
albeit not a lot. Does the gov't pay your firm to take these?

All of them were highly valued? When did you last work with a 16/17 year
old? I'll bet it was before mobile phones were commonplace.

Why 'only apprentices'? There's little point in recruiting them if
you think of them with contempt. Find out how to recruit decent
prospects in the first place. Maybe give talks at the local college
so you get to know some of them in advance. Give the college some
handout that explains what they will be expected to do and what they
will learn - try to encourage good ones to apply. When they do, give
them meaningful jobs give them positive feedback on how they are
doing. Put them in teams so they a competitive challenge. Look at the
Bloodhound SSC site and see what they are doing to encourage young
engineers.

ATM we have two of the best apprentices in the country (IMHO). It takes
more than an interview to find them.

Having said that, your anger and rage still shows through in those
posts - and I still think you'd do well to look into anger
management. Its part of being assertive, that's the skill being able
to get people to do what you need them to do without flying off the
handle and alienating them. Instead they will respect you for being
an expert they expect to learn from.

Trust me. Spend a week working with some of them. Even Jesus would lose
his temper with them.

--
Adam

The missus tries to employ kids, but after starting out ok, they invariably
start turning up late / half ****ed from the night before, or are so tired
from whatever they do at night, that they can hardly stand up or keep their
eyes open. Then comes the lame excuses texted in about 10 minutes before
they are due to start work. These include "doctor's appointment", "hospital
appointment", "the dog's run off and we're out looking for it", "my lift has
not turned up", "my dad's had an accident in the car so can't bring me",
"I'm stuck in Manchester because the trains are on strike" and many many
more. Some are so ludicrous that they really must think that they are
cleverer than we are to even try to use them. They honestly think that you
came down in the last shower of rain. Then they offer to "come in to make
the time up" at some other time that they don't normally work anyway because
you don't need them at that time. Then they get all ****y when you dock
their money ...

As for mobile phones, they are confiscated when they come in, and only
allowed back to them at break times and when they go home. You can see the
sweat break out on their troubled little brows and their hands start shaking
as it disappears into the holding box ...

So I'm with Adam on this one. Good ones are very hard to find no matter what
interview techniques you use, and even if you *do* get one, it's hard to
stop them deteriorating into a waste of space within six months ...

Arfa