Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Could you whack an inch off?

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:01:13 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"RonB" wrote:

I have built several heavy rocking horses using contrasting

hardwoods. I spend 80-100 hours on each and I have seen some with

similar substance and features in the $500 and up price range. Two

of mine have gone to grandkids and one to the daughter of a good

friend. The other two have been donated to our church for raffles.

Invariably someone sees one of them and asks the dreaded question:

"How much would it cost for you to build one of those for me?

Normally the price is $1,000.00; however, if you are not in a hurry,

could probably do one for $750 in about 6 months after receipt of a

$500.00 advance deposit.

Keeps out the riff raff.

Lew

Mine are not quite in that range. The carousel-type of carved horses do sell in the $1,500 and up (way up) range. Mine is a whimsical take-off of about three different patterns I picked up over the years plus about 1/3 my own design. I have a 16" x 44" x 2-1/2" slab of walnut in the garage now and I'm pretty sure it contains a horse body. Maple on the top row of my rack will make the rockers. Smaller chunks of cherry and Myrtle wood will do mane, tail and details. Just need to it get going.

RonB