Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Could you whack an inch off?

On 10/3/2012 10:27 AM, dpb wrote:
On Monday, October 1, 2012 9:58:32 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
...You doing art or trying to make a living from woodworking here?

As a popular bumper sticker here in SW KS farm country says, "Farming
without a profit motive is gardening". The sentiment has to hold for
any vocation--vision is nice but it may not pay the bills.

I figured about 2 people here earn their living from their wood shop.
One of them, and I felt sorry for him, was SonomaProducts. Now I find
out he earns his living otherwise, and does this stuff more as a hobby.
So I was off by about one, possibly two, and, since it's his hobby, I
don't have to feel sorry for him. In other words, about no one here is
a farmer, most are "just gardeners".

I've found over the years to only make what you want, not much else
unless it is for a very, very good friend, then do it for friendship,
not money. Few on earth can afford to pay me what I want to make
something I *want* to make, let alone something I *don't* want to make,
and also be dumb enough to pay that much. Those prices require artistic
perfection, something few attain.

How much is it worth to turn a hobby into work?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com