Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Could you whack an inch off?

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.

His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-(

I had forgotten you were genuinely in the business. I saw this at your
web site, associated with some of your kits:

"You are given the unfinished components with all of the complex milling
already completed, clear and extensive plans and step-by-step
instructions and all the necessary hardware. We also provide numerous
fool-proof finishing techniques and recipes that anyone can perform in
their home shop, garage or shed."

Maybe the friend you gifted your table to read that? I can understand a
little better how he might have been confused by your ambiguous attitude
now. Personally, FWIW, I have a lot of respect for your work!

Cheers,
Bill