Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default OT This is the reason I hate the public enforcing the law

On 03/10/2012 16:42, Another John wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

(Like TNP in another response) you say you were immediately aware that
your headlight had gone out: can I suggest (without fear of being filled
in) that you are in a tiny, TINY minority!??
I check my lights regularly, because I know it's often difficult to tell
from behind the wheel when a headlight's out.

Holy crap, are UK drivers SO BAD that they don't know they only have one
headlight left? Its bloody FRIGHTENING.

I can only conclude you are one of those people who never drives on
roads at night than don't have streetlights.

Wrong! Very much so.

Added to all of this, of course, replacing a headlight bulb these days
is either (a) virtually impossible for the average owner (including me)
or (b) unbelievably expensive at a garage. No wonder that there are so
many lights out: it's ****ing annoying, and it's ********ing
dangerous****.[1]

Actually despite halford's adverts its usually a piece of ****, even
with sealed beam units.

No way man! Depends on the car you own, of course. In the last 20 years
I've gone from swopping light bulbs in 2 mins flat, to taking two hours
over one. [1]

I have heard that the Focus mk1 is an absolute pig. Fortunately I have a
mk2 and after the first time, you can do it in a few minutes as you know
exactly where to release the hidden clips.

I have however owned one car that for a simple tail light bulb
replacement needed the interior boot trim and side carpet removed
(requiring new clips as they seem designed to break on removal) and then
the back of the cluster removing with no acess for a spanner or normal
socket; only a long-reach socket would do - I have them and I'm sure
that many others on here do, but how many ordinary drivers would?

SteveW