Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT This is the reason I hate the public enforcing the law

Another John wrote:
In article ,
"ARW" wrote:

What I do not need is some knobhead travelling the other way
putting his main beams on to tell me there is a headlight out
on my van. I know that there is a headlight out, what does
the daft **** want me to do?

Me? I stuck my main beams on and moved across to the other side
of
the road and scared the **** ****less. I swerved back in at the
last second but I loved it when he mounted the grass verge to
avoid me.

Feel free to call me insane.

And you're proud of that?

Yes. 100% proud of it.

Hang on: so you nearly killed someone because he wanted to let you
know you had a light out?

What would you have done if he'd come up to you in the car park and
said "'Scuse me -- did you know your rear-nearside is nearly flat?"
Shoved him to the ground, kicked him, called him a nosey **** and
told him to mind his own business?

If someone came up to me in a car park and aimed a torch in my eyes, then
yes, I would take defensive action.

(Like TNP in another response) you say you were immediately aware that
your headlight had gone out: can I suggest (without fear of being
filled in) that you are in a tiny, TINY minority!??

I check my lights regularly, because I know it's often difficult to
tell from behind the wheel when a headlight's out.

It stands out very well, even with streetlights that there is a headlight
out.

Looking at many drivers on the road, it's a bloody miracle that they
know which side the petrol cap is on, never mind checking their
lights.

Now that is something I do have a problem with. I drive 9 different vans and
only one of them on a regular basis. I do have to look to see which side the
other 8 are on before filling up.

Added to all of this, of course, replacing a headlight bulb these days
is either (a) virtually impossible for the average owner (including
me) or (b) unbelievably expensive at a garage. No wonder that there
are so many lights out: it's ****ing annoying, and it's ********ing
dangerous****.[1]

Swapping the bulb is a 5 minute job on this van. I carry a spare but I was
not in a place suitable to swap it.

[1] Though nowhere near as dangerous as bad-tempered, arrogant,
insanely aggressive white van drivers.

Or indeed members of the public who think they are the police.

--
Adam