Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

On Oct 1, 2:21*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 1, 2:40*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to cut a 4" round hole in a soffit, from underneath, while
standing on a ladder. The soffit is not horizontal, it slants upward
from the gutter towards the house.

We may have some access to the soffit from above, perhaps enough to
drive a screw through with a right angle drill to locate the position
on the outside, but I don't think I have enough room to get a jig saw
in there.

My guess is that it will all have to be done from the ladder. I don't
want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw and arbor for this one
hole, so I'm looking for creative suggestions from this fine group.

I'm think that I don't want to use a router, upside down, while
standing on a 28' ladder. I'm not even sure a jig saw will be that
easy to use.

The hole will be covered with the cover shown at the link below, so it
doesn't have to be perfect, I just need to feed (and attach) a 4"
aluminum elbow to the hole.

http://cdn.oneprojectcloser.com/wp-c...5/DSC_0135.jpg

Maybe just a series of holes drilled in a circular pattern will be
good enough, but I'd prefer soemthing a bit neater.

Suggestions?

Turn a router into a compass...

1. fasten a piece of ply to bottom, needs to extend more than 2" on one side

2. drive a nail thru the ply 2" from center

3. have at it

But since you don't want to use a router, draw a 4" circle with a regular
compass and cut it out with whatever. *As you suggest, a series of holes
works just fine. *Router is easier/faster though.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Maybe just ready for a change? *Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net-Hide quoted text -

I like your suggestion, I've even used something similar in the past -
at ground level. ;-)

Issue here is I don't think I have enough room to use the extended
base on a full size router up in the limited width of the soffit.

Now that I have the 1" deep hole saw set from HF I'm hoping against
hope that there is enough room above the soffit to get the hole saw
started with the right angle attachment for my drill. We'll see.

I also bought new blades for my HF MF tool, so if all else fails, a
bunch of plunge cuts should do the trick.

Oh yeah, I'll be lighting the project with my HF 500W work lights. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Send us the final debriefing, and a picture if you can get one after
dark with the HF light.