Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

On Oct 1, 11:32*am, dpb wrote:
On 10/1/2012 10:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Actually, I don't have a hole saw arbor. The very few round holes I've
needed to cut have always been small enough that no arbor was needed.
However, a friend has a hole saw kit that goes up to 3 1/2". Maybe I
could use his arbor and just buy the 4" holesaw. Are arbors brand-
specific or generic?

That haven't ever had need for holesaw seems most unusual but guess
everybody has done different stuff...

Anyway, the inexpensive arbors are standard w/ some exceptions--in all
likelihood his will work.

One thing since apparently you've not used one before--a large diameter
holesaw can exert a _LOT_ of torque and on a ladder it's going to be
pretty spooky as well...whatever you do, be prepared to let go; don't
even think of locking the power level...

Drill a few practice holes on the ground first (and trying one overhead
wouldn't be a bad idea, either) to get a feel; you may change your mind
and go back to the holes and keyhole saw after you do...

--

I guess I should have said what I said differently. I've used large
hole saws before, but I've always been able to use someone else's.

Anyway, I just picked up the $15 set at HF for $12.