Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

On Oct 1, 11:07*am, Jon Danniken
wrote:
On 10/01/2012 07:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I need to cut a 4" round hole in a soffit, from underneath, while
standing on a ladder. The soffit is not horizontal, it slants upward
from the gutter towards the house.

We may have some access to the soffit from above, perhaps enough to
drive a screw through with a right angle drill to locate the position
on the outside, but I don't think I have enough room to get a jig saw
in there.

My guess is that it will all have to be done from the ladder. I don't
want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw and arbor for this one
hole, so I'm looking for creative suggestions from this fine group.

I'm think that I don't want to use a router, upside down, while
standing on a 28' ladder. I'm not even sure a jig saw will be that
easy to use.

The hole will be covered with the cover shown at the link below, so it
doesn't have to be perfect, I just need to feed (and attach) a 4"
aluminum elbow to the hole.

http://cdn.oneprojectcloser.com/wp-c...5/DSC_0135.jpg

Maybe just a series of holes drilled in a circular pattern will be
good enough, but I'd prefer soemthing a bit neater.

If it's going to be covered by a plate or cover of some type (and it
would need to be unless you want to make another post asking about how
to get rid of pests from the attic), a circular drill pattern would
work, but I'd just spend the $15 at HF and buy the set of hole saws.

Jon- Hide quoted text -

The HF near me has a set in stock. I'll pick it up this afternoon. $12
w/coupon.

Thanks!