Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Painting pressure treated lumber

On 10/1/2012 8:22 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/1/2012 12:29 AM, Swingman wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:26:13 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/29/2012 7:52 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:30:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Hardi may all come primed now but it did not always. It used to
come in
a cement grey color.

And, I can assure you 90% of Hardi does not get primed on all six
sides.
Construction crews don't paint the ends after cutting to length. I
suspect that caulk will substitute.

You're probably right, but it's taught in the BEST Continuing Ed class
that I just finished yesterday. That very many people do so is fairly
unlikely, but the better builders will, and I will in the future.
Swingy, what's your company's stance on this?

Cut ends need to be primed or painted on the primed product, edge
coated on
the colored product with the appropriate colored Hardie edge coat. You
don't caulk the colorplus product at all, ever.

Does Hardi edge coat come with the order of colorplus or do you have to
know to ask for that product?

There is an edge/touchup kit available from James Hardie, but it is
faster to have the color matched with an exterior paint at a paint store.

On another note, the older Hardi product specifically indicated to caulk
the joints, non-primed and non-colored. Do you just leave the joint
open now, so to speak?

No, you can caulk the primed product, you just don't caulk their
colorplus product at all. It looks funky, and caulk eventually turns a
different color than the product after weathering.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010