Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scrap value of large electric motors, vs. small motors

On Sep 30, 12:05*am, Ignoramus23622 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
23622.invalid wrote:

What are the names on them - any specs ?

Kato motor-generators, 60 Hz in, 417 Hz out, 100 HP motor, 75 kVa
generator IIRC. Each weighs 2,800 lbs.

For scrap purposes, they are both electric motors. They are about 100
HP in size.

Since they are made by Kato, I doubt there is any way to separate the
motor part from the generator part. If that is possible, you might be
able to sell the motor part and scrap the generator part.

Many years ago I toured a plant that used similar motor generators to
power Florescent lighting. They claimed that by using a higher
frequency the lamps were more efficient. But I think those days are
gone as the electronic ballasts essentially do just that. But you
might check with one or more of the folks that make ballasts for
florescent lighting.

As for the price of large motors for scrap. Call three scrap yards
and see what they will pay.

Dan