Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scrap value of large electric motors, vs. small motors

Ignoramus23622 wrote:

I have several electric motor-like things, they are called
motor-generators. It is a motor paired to a generator.

For scrap purposes, they are both electric motors. They are about 100
HP in size.

I bought them as complete units and I expect that I will be scrapping
them and selling off contactors and such.

When I look up prices of "scrap electric motors", I only see prices
published for fractional horsepower motors.

My question is, are large motors valued at a higher price per lb, or
lower, than fractional motors.

The total weight of these devices is 14,000 lbs, so I better do a good
research before selecting a particular scrap yard.

That depends on how you scrap them. As a whole unit, or separate the
copper & steel. An air chisel will cut the windings so they can be
removed.