Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23622 Ignoramus23622 is offline

Default Scrap value of large electric motors, vs. small motors

On 2012-09-30, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus23622 wrote:

Who needs a 100 HP motor generator making 417 Hertz?

Ah, yes, I thought they might be of this flavor.
Well, see my previous post. not sure if NASA or the like
can use 417 Hz output, that was probably for IBM mainframes.
But, I worked at NASA Wallops Station for a couple years, and
they had several Air Force radar dishes (in the 60-foot class)
that were on hydraulic servo mounts. They ran off 400 Hz
power, and even the hydraulic pumps ran off 400 Hz motors, so
there was a colossal motor-alternator set for the system.
There are probably other outfits that test aircraft stuff
like fuel pumps and whatnot that could use serious M-G
sets like this.

Jon

Well, I could try to put them on ebay for a couple of weeks.

I honestly do not expect that to work out, but what the hell.