Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23622 Ignoramus23622 is offline

Default Scrap value of large electric motors, vs. small motors

On 2012-09-30, Pete C. wrote:

Richard wrote:

On 9/29/2012 8:36 PM, Ignoramus23622 wrote:
I have several electric motor-like things, they are called
motor-generators. It is a motor paired to a generator.

For scrap purposes, they are both electric motors. They are about 100
HP in size.

I bought them as complete units and I expect that I will be scrapping
them and selling off contactors and such.

When I look up prices of "scrap electric motors", I only see prices
published for fractional horsepower motors.

My question is, are large motors valued at a higher price per lb, or
lower, than fractional motors.

The total weight of these devices is 14,000 lbs, so I better do a good
research before selecting a particular scrap yard.

If it works (?) it's worth a hell of a lot more than scrap value!

Scrap value tomorrow vs. as-is value in 18 months of searching for the
right buyer and tripping over 14,000# of it daily in the warehouse...

And not finding any buyer in the end.

There is a lot of fun components inside, four size 3 motor starters in
each units, two large circuit breakers per unit etc.

I will bring them in on the semi in a few days.