Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default Split Point Drill Bits

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:30:56 -0500, Tim Wescott wrote:

Does anyone have a link to a good picture of a split-point drill bit?
I've been looking, and all I see are side views -- I'd like a top view so
that I can (a) verify that I really don't have any, and (b) see if I can
make one out of the non-split-points that I have.

Besides youtube (per other replies) put split-point drill bit
into google images; several end-on views appear. One is from
web page http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/DrillSharp.html which
describes a dozen or so shop built drill sharpening jigs.
See eg http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/DrillSharp.html#Facet4
for a good oblique view and tip diagram. Note, I would call
the relevant end-on views bottom views instead of top views.
If you really want a top view see following pictu o

--
jiw