Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Painting pressure treated lumber

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:54:31 -0400, Nova wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 14:40:37 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/29/2012 1:51 PM, Nova wrote:

snip

According to the Forest Products Lab:

"Contrary to the belief of many consumer's and paint companies, it is
not necessary to allow newly installed pressure-treated wood to
weather or season for long periods of time before applying a coating.
Most newly built CCA treated wood decks can band should be protected
with a water repellent, toner or semi-transparent stain as soon as
possible after construction. Research has shown that exposing
unprotected wood to weathering for even short periods of time can
cause surface damage. This damaged surface reduces the ability
of the wood to hold onto subsequently applied coatings—a situation
that can ultimately lead to premature coatings failure. This, unless
the new treated wood is still very wet, it should be coated as soon as
possible after deck construction. If the wood is obviously wet, no
more than 2-3 weeks of air-drying should be allowed before a coating
is applied."

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2000/ross00b.pdf

Good to know but I noticed that most suggested coverings that you
mentioned above are not opaque, as paint is. So I would surmise that
paint would not be a good coating for new PT wood.

I really can't think of anyone I know who actually painted and entire
deck. This summer my neighbor did paint the railings and pergola on
his deck. I can let you know how it holds up in a few years. I would
guess given, the higher amount of solids in paint, that it will hold
up better than stain.

I painted all the (PT) railings on my deck and front porch on my VT house.
Peeling was a major problem and I had to repaint every couple of years. Stain
didn't last any longer.