Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Painting pressure treated lumber

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Last porch I built, I used PT lumber with a white opaque stain. Up close
you could still see the grain of the wood, which was an attractive
feature. From the road, it looked like a newly painted white porch. It
stayed bright white for several years.

Good idear, I'll look into it. I wouldn't use white stain tho, something
red-ish -- which fades quickly in ultraviolet.
Is there an exterior polyurethane that can protect pigments form UV? Or are
there UV-impervious pigments?

I just brought up white because it's the color we used on our porch.
I'm no expert but in my experience nothing will stand up to UV... for
very long.
I'm sure a good paint shop could tell you what's out there that works
best.
Maintaining outdoor woodwork has always been arduous.
Engineered composite lumber has held up to UV so far, as advertised,
from what I can tell.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)