Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Painting pressure treated lumber

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
I've read you have to delay painting PT lumber from everywhere from two
weeks to a year. Latex paint...
What's the deal?

And, how does one tell if PT wood is ready to be painted?
It feels quite wet from the lumberyard/HD, but seems much drier in a
cupla
days.
Does rain further extend the wait?
Does a sprayer allow you paint sooner than brushing/rolling??

Also, just curious: Will non-PT wood last as long as PT wood (outside,
of
course), if it thoroughly painted?
In the northeast. Any special painting methods required?

I don't know how long you need to wait.

As for paint... might I suggest an opaque stain. Depending on the
concentration and size of pigment, it will get deeper into the grain of
the wood than paint, but from a distance looks like paint. It lasts a
lot longer than paint and fades instead of flaking/peeling.

Last porch I built, I used PT lumber with a white opaque stain. Up close
you could still see the grain of the wood, which was an attractive
feature. From the road, it looked like a newly painted white porch. It
stayed bright white for several years.

Good idear, I'll look into it. I wouldn't use white stain tho, something
red-ish -- which fades quickly in ultraviolet.
Is there an exterior polyurethane that can protect pigments form UV? Or are
there UV-impervious pigments?
--
EA

--