Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Rant: Banks that only let you see the last few transactions online

In message , JTM writes
In article ,
chris French wrote:
I have used a BNP Paribas (Belgium) card reader
successfully to read my Nationwide card and login to
Nationwide. It also works the other way around for
*some* but not all transactions. The BNP Paribas card
reader simply has more options than the Nationwide one,
I don't think there are any different security
algorithms in it.

As an experiment I tried to use my Nationwide reader with
my smile card on my smile accounht (or vice versa, can't
remember). It's didn't work - it would produce codes,but
they were rejected by the website.

When I'd left my reader in France I popped into the N/wide
brance to do a transfer and asked to use a reader to do it.
The assistant gave me a new one and said that "once a reader
has been used with a card, it can only be used by *that*
card. Might just have been bull though.

Hmm, I think it might be.

Doesn't apply to the Smile readers, as we have a joint acct, and so use
either of our Debit cards

--
Chris French