Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Next interesting project, Lagunmatic CNC mill

On 2012-09-27, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I had a fuse in there -- but it certainly was not
properly-sized. It was the fuse in the component fuse holder from a
terminal block stack from the old machine. It turns out to have been
rated at 5A (still normally reasonable -- and I don't remember ever
seeing an electric clock with a fuse built in. :-)

But the fuse which was in there was quite visibly blown. (3AG
size, FWIW.)

Maybe a 1/2 A fuse would have been adequate and easier to find.
a 1/10 A would be even more reasonable.

How about a thermal fuse, against the motor's coil?

Hmm ... not sure that it would survive the oil leakage there. :-)

And the coil is under the aluminum rotor, which is under the
push-on cover (if it is like I remember them) so the fuse would not be
where it could get a real feel for the heat buildup.

BTW The 5A fuse had plenty of excuse to blow, because the fire
burned the wires in the spiral metal plus oilproof plastic cable
(and burned the plastic off the cable), so it is likely to have
serious shorts inside the cable, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564