Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice on squeeking squirrelcage motor

Han wrote in
:

This is close to a postmortem. I took things apart until I had the
motor free from its brackets and housing. Now I have no idea of how
to get at the bearings, other than by going out and getting some
gadget to pull the bearings off. More useless details in my answer to
anon.

They do make bearing pullers, but you may not need to buy one. Some of
the auto parts stores (like Autozone) will "lend" you a tool. It might
be worth stopping in and asking.

Last time I took a motor apart, the bearings were firmly attached to the
shaft and while there was a housing at either end, it didn't take much
effort to free the bearings from them. (After the bolts that held the
motor together snapped off, I didn't bother trying to pull the bearings.
It was quickly turning in to a project that's more trouble than it's
worth.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.