Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Advice on squeeking squirrelcage motor

Max wrote in
b.com:

On 9/26/2012 8:19 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

If not, get a new motor from WW Grainger.
==================================
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

A new motor is a lot more expensive than new bearings Lew.
Especially from Grainger.
======================================
If price is controlling issue, **** can the whole shebang and buy
a 20" box fan at end of season price of about $10 from a big box
store and get a beer.

No one said it was the controlling issue. It's just a factor. Don't
see why you don't consider replacing bearings to be a suitable
address of the problem. They are meant to be replaced, after all...

Not only that, there's the satisfaction that comes from, Hey! I fixed
it.

OP here ...
That is indeed the thing, satisfaction of fixing a problem.

NOTE: I had found a "plan" for an aircleaner on the web, just a box with
a squirrelcage fan in it and a way to hold furnace-type filters in place
(2 filters 18x24" on each side of the box). I bought the motor off ebay
in 2004. It was surprisingly big ...

I have run the motor at times consinuously for days or weeks. I got my
money's worth.

--
Best regards
Han