Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice on squeeking squirrelcage motor

"Han" wrote

I posted a picture of the squirrelcage motor in my homemade "air
filtration
system" with 18x24" filters. The motor has started to make a high
pitched
squeeking noise, and the center circular pieces in the picture
(bearings?)
are getting hot. Is there any way to lubricate, or salvage the
motor, or
do I need to get a new (used?) motor? This thing has had many, many
hours
on it, since I use it too to circulate the air in the basement. So
I owe
it gratitude, but can afford another motor. OTOH, if it can be
saved
somehow, that would be good. But I don't want it to catch fire!!!

Get an aerosol can of light grade oil (3-N-1, sewing machine, etc)
along with the plastic straw that serves as an extension.

See if you can feed the straw in past the motor housing(s) so you can
squirt some oil on the bearing(s).

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't, it's a crap shoot.

If not, get a new motor from WW Grainger.

Lew