Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Next interesting project, Lagunmatic CNC mill

On 2012-09-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[ ... ]

There are a number of companies that do just that. Get set up..and
you will have my work as well.

Thanks. I'm trying to get the small shop finished, then I'll start
haunting the local industrial scrapyard for damaged items to strip for
parts. Some is sitting outside, full of servo motors & electronics.

Hmm ... I've been looking for a particular DC servo motor, by
SEM (Small Electric Motors) in Japan. It is a long skinny one.

If you have any which match this approximate description, let me
know (fix my e-mail as shown in my .sig below) and I'll get you the full
details from the data plate. It should have four brush caps at 90
degrees, and (ideally) a MS series connector on one end of a box) with I
think about ten pins. Of those, two are the current into it, two are
the voltage from the feedback tach, two may be (if fitted) an
over-temperature sensor. Two more may be (again, if fitted) a built-in
brake. And on the end opposite the shaft, there should be a housing
with an encoder with a separate cable bringing that out. (Mine have
Heidrahan encoders, others may be different. I'll probably replace all
the encoders anyway.

I don't, but I'll see what I can dig up around here. They have about
an acre under roof of used & surplus industrial items.

One of the three motors which I have has a bad output shaft end
bearing, and given the stories of how easy it is to degauss the
permanent magnets, I would rather have a spare on hand *before* I take
it apart.

Definitely. The factory uses a special 'keeper' to remove & inset
the armature.

The project is a bit on hold. The BiJur oiler appears to have
started a fire, and the shop is a world of smoke soot at present.
Little damage to the mill, except the BiJur oiler, its reservoir, and
the approximately one liter of Vactra No. 2 are gone. (Well ... the
metal parts are still there, and I'm waiting for the insurance
investigator to come tomorrow before I pull it off the side of the
machine and see what is what about what is left.) I still find it
amazing that a little 2 or 3 Watt clock motor could light the Vactra No.
2, but we had a spectacular blaze there for a while -- and *very* hot.

The winding may have opened & arced, causing plasma which ignited the
oil. I used to see hundreds of bad clock motors a year, when one shop
did school clocks & fire alarms. Most had bad gears, but some had open
coils and burn marks.

I'm still finding things and sprizing them with WD-40 and rubbing off
the rust which is starting. Later, I'll find my remaining stock of
Vactra No. 2 and rub them down with a proper oil which should stay in
place.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564